Popular Posts

Thursday, February 2, 2012

How Important are your friends?


Great Afternoon on this February 2, 2012  I have enjoyed the last few days this week.  Pastor Joy and I have had the wonderful opportunity to have our Grandson Nehemiah stay with us as his parents, our daughter and son in Law have been out of town.  I am learning the fine art of 1st grade humor once again,  the art of playing battleship and of course the shuttle service that comes along with the assignment.  As I have heard it said; if I would have known how fun it was to have grand kids I would have started with them…It really makes me wonder where the time has gone in our own lives.  The older I get the more I realize the importance of friends and family.  The friends the Lord puts into our lives are priceless.  I have witnessed a cool phenomenon in the body of Christ as I watch people in the church develop friends at different levels.  Some on a social level, some on a hobby level some on a spiritual level but all under the banner of the body of Christ.  We need friends, I want friends.  I was recently in Nampa for a meeting, a city where I had spent the last 12 years in the business sector.  You often wonder if the people we have associated with in the past are our friends or just acquaintances. At the conclusion of the meeting a pastor friend and I went to dinner at a local restaurant.  We had just finished dinner when I looked up and saw an old friend.  He quickly seated his wife and family and raced over to our table greet us. I introduced my pastor friend and I quickly ask him what exciting things were happening in his life.  He had been transferred out of the area for the last few years and was now back in Nampa working for a company that sells medical supplies.  I told him I too had a change since the last time we spoke for I was Pastoring a great church in Burley. I mentioned that we needed to reconnect for we were in the final stages of launching a free medical clinic in the Mini-Cassia area and needed assistance with Medical supplies.  He was quick to mention that he would be able to help us out in a great way.  I walked away from this meeting rejoicing due to the fact God does use people to fulfill His purpose.  I was also rejoicing in the fact that I had never burnt a bridge of relationships in the business world.  Regardless how rocky a business relationship was, I refused to burn bridges.  My philosophy was and is:  I would rather have a friend than take the world approach of getting all you can from a person, for they are disposable.  I want to challenge you to take this path regardless of how rocky or rosy the situation is.  There are souls in the balance between heaven and hell.  I choose heaven every time regardless of my personal feelings. Yes, I have been taken advantage of numerous times because of this perspective but I refuse to bow, cower or stoop to the ways of the world when it comes to relationships.  We need one another.  
Several testimonies have surfaced this as we continue to believe God for greatness. One young family told me that they made a commitment to be blessed and be a blessing in the area of giving and tithing.  They had just enough this last month to tithe so as they wrote the check, balanced the check book they had $.68 left. To their amazement the tax return they was expecting was multiplied that allowed them to pay some long overdue medical bills.  There is another cool story of a couple who had made a commitment to tithe to the Lord and how God had a surprise gift of a check in the mail that was more than their tithe.  As I have said in the past, the Pastor and church does not want our money.  The Lord Does not want our money either, However He wants our Heart and because He has our heart he has our all, included our money. It all belongs to Him any way…
Several things this weekend to look forward to:
Pre-registration for the Men’s retreat this weekend  The cost is $135.00 the dates are February 24-26  If you are a man… have hair on your legs…and would love to get away for a great weekend with some Brothers in the Lord.  This event is for you.  It will be held in Cascade Idaho at the Trinity Pines Camp ground…  There are some scholarships available.
This Sunday February 5th  at 4:00 p.m. the Men’s Ministry will host a Super Bowl Tail Gate Party.  This event is open to all and will be a good time to watch the New York Giants get beat…..This will be a scholarship fund raiser for men’s retreat.  Come on out.  A suggested donation will be appreciated. 
I will be preaching perhaps the best message I have ever preached this weekend as we begin a journey in February through the book of Matthew.  I will be focusing on Matthew 1-6.  There are 16 topics to choose from in these few chapters.  I will focus on 3 of them.  Come expecting a miracle this weekend. 
Some other really cool things are planned with our Christian Education Department on Wednesday’s.  On February 15th we will show case the new Wednesday format for the next 13 weeks.  One of which is Peace University with Dave Ramsey.  Are you burdened with debt, can’t see up from down?  This class will be for you… Other classes are Pastor Joy will be hosting ladies only class as well as I will be hosting a discipleship class.  Wow it will be a great time for all.  I can’t wait.  Oh one thing we are working on is a makeup time with the Love and Respect class for those who missed any sessions. 
Ok in case you haven’t heard we  are offering prayer times for Men, each Wednesday morning at 7:00 a.m. and will be hosting a time of corporate Prayer each Saturday  evening at 6:00 p.m. for all….. Jesus said my house shall be called a house of prayer.  This starts this Saturday February 4th in the sanctuary. 
I Hope to see you this weekend. As you are coming invite a friend to come with you…
We love you,
Pastor Jim & Joy Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment